Labels

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Char Kuew Teow

File:Charkwayteow.JPG


Char Kway Teow translates to “stir-fried ricecake strips ” and is recognized by the flat, thick rice noodles that are used.  The authentic version is stir-fried with lard (and even has additional pork fat croutons for additional flavour), dark and light soy sauce, chilli, de-shelled cockles, sliced chinese sausage, bean sprouts and sometimes prawns and egg (from duck or chicken).  The secret to the ‘charred’ taste is to be cooked in a wok at a very high temperature and served steaming hot.

Char kway teow is a favourite south east asian dish prepared in many variations depending on if you are in Singapore, Malaysia (Penang, Perak, Sarawak) or Indonesia where it’s known as Kwetiau Goreng. For me personally, it was the first Singapore hawker food that I tried – I even remember that I purchased it at the eating house on Upper Circular Road, Boat Quay.  I think it’s etched in my memory as my first ‘solo’ food purchase because I had no idea what it was or what I was eating – it just looked good!

No comments:

Post a Comment